Maria’s Homemade Salsa Recipe
First get a well seasoned cast iron skillet or griddle. Put it over low heat on the stovetop. Add about a tablespoon of vegetable oil and a good size yellow onion sliced about 1/4 inch thick. Let the onion get nice and brown (not black) on brown on sides. You want a caramelization effect Remove the onions.. Now turn the burner up to medium high and add 4 or 5 fresh jalapenos. Let them get nice and brown, a little black is okay for them. Put them and the onions aside to cool.
Now take a 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes and drain them in a colander. Put them in a food processor and pulse them until they are chunky/salsa consistency. Dump out into a bowl.
Next process the onions and jalapenos along with a 4 ounce can of chipotle chiles in adobo. You want these to get pretty fine-but not paste. Add to the tomatoes. Then stir in about 1/2 cup of fresh lime juice, a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of sugar. Add one bunch of fresh cilantro,chopped medium fine. Now you are done. Grab a bag of tortilla chips and enjoy.
Makes about 4 cups. Will keep in the refrigerator for about a week.
Maria’s Green Chile Dip
- 1- 13 oz tub of frozen Green Chile Bueno is my favorite. I like the extra hot variety.
- 16 oz Cream Cheese softened
- 1 pkg of Desert Garden brand Jalapeno/Cilantro Dip Mix. (Desert Garden’s website is www.comfortfoods.com. Some of their proceeds go to feed the hungry here in New Mexico.)
Defrost green chile; place in colander and press with paper towels to extract most of the moisture. Then place in food processor with the rest of the ingredients and blend.
Maria’s Cabbage Salad
- 1 Medium Head Cabbage
- 1 Bunch Cilantro
- 2 or 3 Serrano Peppers
- C Olive Oil
- 6 Medium Garlic Cloves, minced
- tsp. Cumin
- c fresh OJ
- c fresh Lime Juice
- 1 tsp. Salt
- tsp. Pepper
Chipotle Lime Dip
Makes approximately 2 cups feeding 12- 15 people
- 2 8 oz. pkgs. Cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 tbs. minced red onion
- tsp. grated lime zest
- 3 chipotles in adobo sauce from a small can plus 1 tsp of the adobo sauce
- Process all in food processor briefly until just combined.
Raspberry Chipotle Dip
Makes approximately 2 Cups Feeding 15 to 20 people:
- Two 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbs. minced red onion
- tsp. liquid smoke
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce from small can, minced.
- 1/3 c. raspberry jam
- Process in food processor briefly until just combined.
- 8 oz. baby spinach
- 1 c. mandarin oranges, drained
- c thinly sliced red onion
- c. garlic butter croutons
- 1 tbs. orange marmalade
- 2 tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Pinch black pepper
- tsp. finely minced garlic
Place all in screw top jar and shake until combined.
1 lb of bow-tie pasta- cooked, drained, and cooled
- 1 Cup prepared basil pesto
- 2tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 lb asparagus- blanched and cooled
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
Garnish with shredded Parmesan
- 1 lb blanched broccoli
- 1 roasted red bell pepper
- 1/2 small yellow onion-grilled
Maria’s Pimento Cheese Dip
- 1 pound of extra sharp cheddar-Tillamook extra sharp cheddar is my favorite-grated
- 1 and 1/2 roasted red bell pepper from a jar,drained ,rinsed and patted dry with paper towels and then minced
- 1 Tbs. honey
- 1 and 1/2 cups mayonnaise
Mix all until well blended. Yields approx. 3 cups
Bacon Jalapeno Dip
- 1 pound of bacon,fried crisp and crumbled
- 1 yellow onion,caramelized and cooled, then minced
- 3 fresh jalapenos , roasted then cooled and minced
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
Combine all and refrigerate for several hours for flavors to meld. Yield approx. 4 cups
Note- I don’t seed the jalapenos, but if you want it less spicy you can seed them.
Asian Cabbage Slaw
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbs. sesame oil
- 2 tbs. creamy peanut butter
- 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
Whisk together until smooth.
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots shredded
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Yields approx. 8 servings
Spicy Peanut Dip
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut cream
- 1.2 cup peanut butter
- 2 tbs. soy sauce
- 1 tbs. asian chili sauce (Sombal Oelek)
- 1 tbs rice vinegar
- 1 tbs honey
- 3 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
Puree in food processor until smooth. Yields approx. 6 servings
2 lbs.(about 6 medium) russet potatos, scrubbed and diced medium. Cover with cold water and some salt, bring to boil and cook until very soft. Drain, cool.
- 3 hard boiled eggs diced
- 1 large celery rib diced fine
- 1/4 c. minced red onion
- 1/2 c. minced bread and butter pickles
- 3/4 c. mayo
- 2 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- salt and pepper to taste
Mix well, yields approx. 6 servings.