- SEASON: This section is flow dependent, though assuming an average snowpack generally April 1 – August 1
- PARTICIPANTS: We welcome beginning rafters 12 years of age and older. You should be in normal good health and prepared for the moderate exertion of paddling, possible swimming, and a 1-mile downhill hike on an easy trail.
- CRAFT: We welcome beginning rafters 12 years of age and older. You should be in normal good health and prepared for the moderate exertion of paddling and possible swimming. Guides will do the navigating paddle rafts, or those who wish to hold on and ride along may request an oar boat.
- COST: Adult: $350.00 50% Deposit Required
- CANCELLATION POLICY: Reservation cancellation more than 2 weeks before trip date receives a refund minus 10% of trip cost. Less than two weeks before trip date forfeits deposit.
If you are looking for an exhilarating and beautiful two-day adventure, this is the trip for you. Head with us into the heart and soul of the Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument and experience some of the best scenery and whitewater New Mexico has to offer.
If you are looking for an exhilarating and beautiful two-day adventure, this is the trip for you. Experience a fantastic array of isolated wilderness and premier whitewater. This two-day trip is very special and we are proud to be the only company that operates it. Head with us into the heart and soul of the Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument and experience some of the best scenery and whitewater New Mexico has to offer.
*This trip begins with an easy one-mile long downhill hike.*
Our trip will begin with a hike into the Wild Rivers area of the Rio Grande National Monument where you will raft southward through class II and III boulder gardens and alluvial outshoots from the large side canyons. After the first 7 miles of whitewater and dramatic beauty you will meet your gear rafts and continue downstream past several hot springs and rapids to our riverside camp in the bottom of the gorge.
You will wake up to an excellent breakfast and hot, fresh coffee to start your day. After a leisurely morning we will load up the rafts and head downstream into 15 miles and 15 class III and IV rapids of the world famous Taos Box. While crashing through the final class IV of the day, “Sunset Rapid”, a photographer will capture some snapshots of your run. Immediately following, the canyon widens as we enter the tranquil Orilla Verde section and we reach our take out at Taos Junction Bridge, from which it will be about a 30-minute back to our office and your car.
Get ready to pitch a tent, sling a hammock, throw down a pad, and relax! Every day we will prepare and serve you a delicious riverside lunch, not limited to, but often including an array of home-roasted sandwich meats and homemade dips and salsas (see some of our recipes here). In addition, our camp dinners and breakfasts are a classic staple of the Far Flung experience, as 40 years in business has not only taught us the principles of reading white-water…but also of cooking and camp ambiance!
***Please let us know ahead of time about any allergies or special food requirements***
Following is a list of required and recommend items for this three-day camping excursion. As part of the trip we will provide waterproof dry bags for all of your personal items and camp chairs for fireside relaxation and enjoyment.
If needed, we provide sleeping bags and sleeping pads for an additional $12/day.