- SEASON: April 1st-Early August. This Run is Flow dependent.
- PARTICIPANTS: We welcome fit and adventuresome rafters of 14 years and older on this isolated whitewater run. We ask that all participants be of average good health, prepared for the exertion of paddling, possible swimming, and two short hikes, one of which is a steep half-mile uphill walk on a good trail.
- CRAFT: Most people prefer paddle boats, but an oar boat is an option on this section.
- COST: Adult: $200.00 50% Deposit Required
- CANCELLATION POLICY: Reservation cancellation more than 2 weeks before trip date receives a refund minus 10% of trip cost. Less than two weeks before trip date forfeits deposit.
This is a true one day adventure trip. Off Road driving, horse packing, hiking, and Class IV whitewater make this an unforgettable experience.
Far Flung Adventures has been rafting in the Rio Grande Gorge for over 40 years, and there is no other company as qualified to facilitate your descent down the Razorblades section. This class IV run is comparable to the Taos Box in whitewater, but the remoteness and the need to hike in and out makes it a real-deal outdoor adventure that is not for the faint of heart. If you are local or frequent New Mexico rafter that is looking for a change from the Taos Box, or just someone looking for a way to step up the adrenaline from a more common whitewater trip, this is exactly what you are looking for.
We will begin our by meeting at the Far Flung Adventures office and boathouse at 8 a.m. From there we will shuttle up to our put in location in the northern reaches of the Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument and start our run at the base of Ute Mountain, an extinct volcano. We will hike and use pack animals to carry all of our gear down to the river, about 100 yards, then go over safety measures, and begin the run.
This ten mile stretch will feature many steep pool-drop rapids and long continuous stretches of whitewater. With that said, don’t forget to look up because this little run section also boasts some of the best wildlife views opportunities around!
We will serve a great deli-style riverside lunch mid-trip and you will have the opportunity to relax and take in the wild alpine desert views.
The day will end at our takeout at Chiflo Trail, which will be a short and steep 1/4 mile hike up out of the gorge.
The shuttle back to our office and your car will take about 30 minutes.