- SEASON: April 1-Nov. 15
- PARTICIPANTS: We welcome rafters and anglers of all ages on this family friendly trip. We ask that you be prepared for a one mile downhill hike on a well maintained trail and a day of boulder hopping while fishing. If not everyone in the family is interested in fishing, no worries, we can work out a price that is just right for your experience. Let the avid angler do the fishing, and you can just concentrate on relaxing in camp, taking in the views, and enjoying real undisturbed quality time with your friends and family.
- CRAFT: Guides will do the navigating in our oar-powered, self-bailing rafts.
- COST: Adult: $1995.00 50% Deposit Required
- CANCELLATION POLICY: Reservation cancellation more than 2 weeks before trip date receives a refund minus 10% of trip cost. Less than two weeks before trip date forfeits deposit.
- October 11-13; Join us this September! $1995/person.
This is one of our favorite new adventures. Experience this world-class multi-day glamping and fly fishing adventure through the Middle Box section of the Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument. This trip is a collaborative effort between Far Flung Adventures and the pros at Taos Fly Shop. Taylor Streit, owner of Taos Fly Shop, is a long time Taos local and a Fly Fishing Hall of Fame member who has fished waters from Alaska to Patagonia, and he considers this stretch of breathtaking and isolated river among the greatest he has ever been on. Come along with us, get pampered, and let some real pros show you how to catch the biggest fish around!
The trip will begin by meeting at our office, the Far Flung Boathouse, on the north side of Taos. From there we will shuttle up to the Cebolla Mesa trailhead in the Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument and meet the packers who will help us to carry our gear down into the heart of the Wild Rivers natural area and the put in for the Middle Box, a pristine and little known gem of the northern Rio Grande. After arriving at the river’s edge your fly fishing guide will get you started on hooking into some of the biggest fish that the southern Rockies have to offer. You will take your time fishing while our guides from Far Flung float downstream and get camp set up. Be prepared to arrive to beautiful camp at the bottom of a breathtaking canyon, take a seat next to a crackling fire with the beverage of your choice, enjoy a hot multi-course meal, and reminisce on the great stories from the day.
Your day will begin as leisurely as you like…but we assume you will probably be up at the crack of dawn to go fishing! The Far Flung guides will cook up a hot breakfast and break down camp while fish. Day two will be spent fishing the along the grassy banks (easy walking!) and pristine waters just 2 miles downstream from our night one campsite. Depending on flows we will either float downstream to a second gorgeous camp or just stay at our already set up campsite from night one.
Day three will require that we make a few more river miles than the previous two days, so after a morning of fishing we will load up the rafts and cruise down river, fishing from the boats and stopping at the choicest fishing spots. Later that afternoon we will take out at John Dunn Bridge and it will be about a 20 minute drive back to our office and your vehicle.
Get ready to pitch a tent, sling a hammock, throw down a pad, and relax! Every day we will prepare and serve you a delicious riverside lunch, not limited to, but often including an array of home-roasted sandwich meats and homemade dips and salsas (see some of our recipes here). In addition, our camp dinners and breakfasts are a classic staple of the Far Flung experience, as 40 years in business has not only taught us the principles of reading white-water…but also of cooking and camp ambiance!
***Please let us know ahead of time about any allergies or special food requirements***
Following is a list of required and recommend items for this three-day camping excursion. As part of the trip we will provide waterproof drybags for all of your personal items and camp chairs for fireside relaxation and enjoyment. Please contact us if you are missing anything and we will do what we can to help.
If needed, we can provide a sleeping kit, 1 sleeping bag and 1 sleeping pad, for $12/day.